- This is a volunteer position
- Start/End Date: January 2020 – June 2022
Founded in 1914 as the American Institute of Graphic Arts, AIGA is now known simply as “AIGA, the professional association for design.” In 1981, a group of Philadelphia designers formed AIGA Philadelphia, the first local chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts. AIGA Philadelphia’s purpose is both integral and complementary to the national organization: to provide the highest standards within the profession and the business community and to stimulate interest and understanding of graphic design and visual communication through lectures, exhibitions, and other activities. We recognize diversity through professional backgrounds, years of practice, areas of professional experience, economic level, cultural background, age, ethnicity, place of origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and cognitive and physical abilities.
AIGA is the profession’s oldest and largest professional membership organization for design—with more than 70 chapters and more than 18,000 members—we advance design as a professional craft, strategic advantage, and vital cultural force.
For more information about AIGA Philadelphia, please visit us at https://philadelphia.aiga.org/.
As the Treasurer, you will manage the chapter’s financial resources and financial planning. The chapter will rely on this position to perform risk management and provide recommendations on how the board is utilizing funds for chapter initiatives. The Treasurer is the guardian of the chapter’s accounts and financial records. This position will be responsible for all cash management procedures.
WHAT YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH:
- You will assume responsibility for cash management procedures and ensure that the chapter is in good standing with federal and state tax rules.
- You will develop an operating budget, and work with the board to determine long-range financial goals and planning
- You will prepare and present monthly and end-of-year finance reports to the board, which will include profit and loss statements for all events and program
- You will conduct regular audits with the chapter President and Vice President and other interested board members to secure transparent operations
- You will collaborate with the President and Vice President in completing an annual report that will be submitted to AIGA National
- You will maintain relations with banks, financial advisor, insurance agents, and accountants
- You will secure insurance for Commercial Liability and Directors and Officers Liability, in addition to liquor liability for special events, as needed
- You will send letters of receipts and W-9 form to chapter sponsors and donors
- Maintain all treasurer-related files and records to be transferred to the incoming treasurer → Ensure a complete set of files is delivered to the next Treasurer
- All new board members will be expected to attend group anti-racism training within the first 90 days on the board.
WHO YOU ARE:
- You get excited about risk management and investments
- You have experience with Google Spreadsheets and financial management software (experience using QuickBooks strongly preferred)
- You are eager to contribute to the local creative community
- Board members are encouraged to become AIGA members to enjoy official standing with AIGA National; if access to membership is a barrier to entry, we will support you in securing membership
HOW TO APPLY:
We are very excited to review your application. Please follow the steps below and you should hear from our team within 72 hours. All documents and questions should be submitted to Bernardo Margulis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letter of Intent: please submit a one-page letter of intent explaining why you are interested in the role and what makes you particularly qualified for the position.
- Current Resume and Contact Information
- Two professional reference statements: may be current or former supervisors or colleagues.
- This is a short statement (250-500 words) that speaks to the skills required for the role, and why the candidate is a fit.