Position: Graphic Designer
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Website: The Clay Studio
The Clay Studio seeks a talented graphic designer to guide our brand through a pivotal moment in our history. The Graphic Designer will play a key role in maintaining our newly adopted brand identity and increasing our visibility in the community. The successful candidate will be highly organized, be prepared to meet deadlines with long and short turnaround times, and successfully manage expectations with colleagues who have many creative ideas. This is an opportunity to build your project management skills, highlight your creativity, and join a high-producing team.
The Graphic Designer works with internal department heads to produce all Clay Studio marketing materials including post cards, invitations, brochures and catalogs, email and web based communications, website maintenance and other design tasks as needed. The Graphic Designer works directly with external vendors to assure that print and digital communications are produced to the highest quality, on time, and within budget.
This position reports to the Vice President and works in close collaboration with the Curator of Artistic Programs, Director of Development, and Director of Education. This reporting structure may change within the first six months.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organized, maintains schedules, meets deadlines, can prioritize and manage multiple projects, high attention to detail. Can work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines and very short turnarounds.
- Flexible enough to adjust to changing priorities and circumstances.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of email communication programs such as Mail Chimp
- Interest/experience in communications and marketing
- Strong design skills, including familiarity with current design software including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, and basic HTML, as well experience working with MS Office and project management software such as Base Camp.
- Working knowledge of printing process and file preparation (preflight etc.)
- Ability to work effectively with a range of personalities and working styles, and with people at all levels of the organization, including staff and board.
- Ability and experience working effectively on a team while performing a substantial portion of duties independently.
- Possess a positive attitude, excellent work ethic and motivation to meet goals.
- Meet all design deadlines outlined in marketing plan.
- Work within the parameters of The Clay Studios newly adopted brand guidelines
- Prepare files for both print and web use.
- Establish and maintain relationships with vendors and industry contacts.
- Design and produce the majority of Clay Studio communications and marketing collateral (print/electronic). This includes but is not limited to post cards, brochures, invitations, newsletters, catalogs, reports, announcements, posters and newsletters.
- Work with web development and database company to maintain functionality and usability, and to redesign as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Experience in graphic design position
- A familiarity with the workings of a nonprofit organization preferred.
The Graphic Designer currently reports directly to the Vice President, though this is being examined with future organizational needs. There are no direct reports, however the Graphic Designer will manage relationships with external vendors and may take an intern as available.
The Graphic Designer is expected to work a 40+ hour week, exclusive of lunchtime, scheduled during normal office hours, which are 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. As with any design position, deadlines and workloads vary throughout the course of a year and may require occasional extended hours. The Graphic Designer is also expected to be present at special events as requested, most of which occur during weekday evenings including First Friday events as scheduled.
The Clay Studio is an equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief. Employment decisions are made without consideration of these or any other factors that are prohibited by law.
About The Clay Studio:
The Clay Studio is Philadelphia’s only nonprofit solely dedicated to the education and promotion of the ceramic arts, and is one of the world’s leading institutions in the field. Founded in 1974, The Clay Studio supports the ceramic arts through its artist residencies, gallery, studio space, and school, educational & outreach programs. The Clay Studio is experiencing a tremendous period of growth and has initiated a plan for an expansion and relocation to a new purpose built facility by 2020.
Benefits and Salary:
Salary Depending on Experience. Benefits include Health / Dental / Retirement with company match. Position includes 10 Vacation, 10 Sick/Personal, 9 Holidays.
In order to be considered, please submit the following information via email:
Submit to Executive Assistant, Charity Thackston email@example.com with the subject line “Graphic Designer”. No phone calls please.
Please submit materials via email: Review of applications will be begin immediately with a deadline of 5pm Wednesday, July 26, 2017 or until the position is filled
- Cover letter outlining qualifications and salary expectations
- Professional resume
- Three relevant references
- Work samples that illustrate your skills along with descriptions of project.