Join the board: Special Events Director
The Special Events Director is responsible for leading two signature biennial AIGA Philadelphia events on alternating years: the Fellows + Fresh Award and the Philadelphia Design Awards.
FELLOW + FRESH AWARDS
The Fellow program is a means of recognizing longtime members who have made a significant contribution to raising the standards of excellence in our practice. Biennially, the Special Event Director nominates qualifying members for this award, oversees the voting process, announces the Fellow and plans the award reception in their honor. The Director and committee also awards the biennial Fresh Award that celebrates the work of a young and up-and-coming designer.
- Identification of nominees, oversight of voting process for Fellow
- Planning and promotion of Fellow Award reception
- Selection of judges for Fresh Award, management of submissions
- Coordination with National on award recognition
PHILADELPHIA DESIGN AWARDS
AIGA Philadelphia invites designers to submit their work to a biennial awards competition, giving them the opportunity to present their work to a prestigious panel of internationally recognized judges. The Director gets a first-hand peek at the work, manages communication with the applicants and award-winners, and helps organize a reception and exhibition.
- Source and direct production of program creative: call for entries, submission and judging platform, web graphics, catalog, signage
- Contact and secure a panel of prestigious, internationally-recognized judges
- Manage submission process and promotion of call for entries
- Work with judges on reviewing submissions and selecting winners
- Plan exhibition/event that will feature winning work
This Director needs to be organized, motivated, and enthusiastic. Attention to detail and excellent communication skills a must.
It is recommended that the Director form a committee of volunteers to help with program planning and logistics.
The Director is required to attend all board meetings or send a committee member if unavailable.
The Director serves a 2-year role. In the event that the role cannot be fulfilled, it is incumbent upon the Director to find a suitable replacement, agreed upon by the board.
Self-nominations are welcomed, and encouraged. Nominees need not be an AIGA member at the time of nomination, but will be required to join AIGA at the Supporter level ($150) if elected to a board position. To nominate yourself or someone else, please prepare a PDF document with the following information, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nominee’s name and nominated position
- A resumé or CV highlights and brief bio
- A short statement (200 words max) describing why the candidate would make a valuable board member
- Two references we may contact for more information
Letter of recommendations are welcome and encouraged
Nominations must be submitted by Friday, July 13, 2018