Position: Junior Designer (Marketing)
Location: Princeton, NJ
Website: Princeton University Press
Start Date: 2 to 4 weeks from offer acceptance
Position Type: Full-time with full benefits package and paid time off
Princeton University Press (PUP) seeks a creative, collaborative, and self-driven Junior Designer to assist with marketing efforts. Reporting to the Assistant Creative Director & Curator of Website, the Junior Designer is an entry level role and ideally suited for an individual with a strong typographic sense, excellent conceptual design skills, and an avid interest in books and ideas. The ability to learn on the job and to work with others toward creative solutions is essential to success in this position. The Junior Designer is responsible for the design of print and digital ad campaigns along with a range of other marketing and promotional materials that support the Press’s brand worldwide.
- Conceptualize and design print and digital ad campaigns as well as promotional materials including but not limited to infographics, postcards, fliers, bookmarks, social media graphics, email assets, styled photos, original illustrations, and animated gifs.
- Conceptualize and create short video trailers for scholarly books across a range of subjects using stop motion video and video editing.
- Work closely with the creative directors and the marketing team to refine designs, incorporate feedback, and articulate and develop the Press’s brand across a unified visual system.
- Produce professional photographs of products and people.
- Create book mockups and product simulations.
- Stay current with new design trends, marketing news, technologies, and software updates.
- Participate in group brainstorms and discussions.
- Degree from a 4-year college or university (BFA in Design or a related field strongly preferred), 1 year of design experience, and an interest in publishing.
- A combination of equivalent education and work experience may be substituted for the above requirements.
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud on a Mac platform.
- Design proficiency using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, FinalCut Pro, Premier Pro, AfterEffects, and Acrobat Pro. Familiarity with MailChimp (or other email programs), databases, and Microsoft Word.
- Excellent design ability, including strong type design, as demonstrated in portfolio.
- Ability to communicate clearly at all levels, both in-house and with commercial printers and vendors.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines, and be detail oriented. Must be able to work as a member of a team as well as independently.
- Must be a creative problem solver, flexible in incorporating the ideas of others into layout or design while at the same time maintaining design and brand integrity.
- An ongoing curiosity about trends in book design and in graphic design generally.
Benefits and Salary
PUP is a strong advocate for greater diversity, equity, and inclusion in the university press community. Individuals who are members of groups underrepresented in academic publishing are encouraged to apply. The Press provides a comprehensive and affordable benefits package and is located in a historic building on Princeton University’s campus that is walking distance from downtown Princeton with easy car access to Route 1 and walking distance from the Princeton train station.