Position: Designer/Senior Designer, Grand Central Publishing
Location: New York
Website: Hachette Book Group
Position Type: full-time
Start Date: Immediate
The Grand Central Publishing- Art department is seeking to hire a creative, highly organized, efficient, conscientious Designer or Senior Designer with the ability to multi-task. The Designer will be responsible for designing jackets for the Adult Trade Department working on Commercial Fiction. They will work in a highly creative, friendly and teamwork-oriented art department and will interact heavily with art directors, designers, editorial, managing editorial, publicity, production and marketing departments to ensure timely workflow, department deadlines and interdepartmental requests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Concept, design, and manage multiple projects per season with guidance from the Creative Director and Art Directors.
• Work collaboratively with all members of the Design and Editorial teams on the development of the book from concept to finish.
• Design and route Mechanicals.
• Find and work with artists on the creation of cover and from sketches to final art.
• Keep projects on a timely schedule and keep supervisor in the loop on projects.
• Conduct Pre-press work and color corrections for jacket files going to the printer.
• Attend weekly production meetings.
• Conduct Photo / Art research
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• 3 years minimum experience in graphic design. Must have portfolio link with sample work included with resume.
• Highly creative, conceptual and results-driven work ethic is imperative. Direct report to Creative Director.
• Advanced in Photoshop a must, and proficient in all Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe Creative Cloud). ?
• Creative excellence in typography.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
• Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.
• Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
• Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate.
• Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.