The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia brings area businesses and civic leaders together to promote growth and create opportunity in our region. Our members represent eleven counties, three states, and roughly 600,000 employees from thousands of member companies and organizations. By bringing all kinds of businesses and leaders to the table — the new, the established, the big, the small, the growing, the thriving, the perennial, the innovative, and the experimental — we build community and find commonalities among us all. We advocate for regional development, business-friendly public policies, and economic prosperity. We support our members with practical, inspiring programs, resources, and events. And all that we do serves one clear, bold goal: to make Greater Philadelphia a great place for good business.
Primary Position Purpose
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the Creative Services Manager will lead the in-house Creative Services team to develop compelling marketing materials to support the mission, promotion and development of the Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia, its discrete business units, Councils, and affiliate organizations.
This position is not only a manager but also a working designer responsible for the visual design and technical production of print and web-ready materials. Design acumen, style, the ability to mentor less senior design team members and prioritize a heavy workload will be given priority over extensive managerial experience during the hiring process.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver professional, timely work to internal clients in various design formats; both in print and online, including but not limited to: Event invites, digital marketing and day of materials for over 125 events each year; Materials for gatherings and meetings for Chamber leadership, Councils and Action Teams; Reports, brochures and special projects including packaging and video
- Reinforce and refine the Chamber brand across communications, working with Marketing department staff and leadership to standardize all materials (both external and internal).
- Supervise Creative Services design staff (2 Graphic Designers); including goal setting, writing mid and end-of-year reviews and mentoring when needed.
- Provide leadership/motivation to the team by inspiring them with and through continuous improvement including monitoring of competitive best practices, design trends and other industry examples.
- Maintain a workflow system that increases work volume and production speed. Work with Director of Marketing to integrate the design process into an overall thoughtful and collaborative marketing process.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the needs of each individual business unit client. Work with the Director of Marketing to prioritize client needs and scope of work for larger projects.
- Conduct annual reviews of all print vendors to examine business relationships, the delivery of expectations, re-quote standard projects, and determine need for additional vendors.
- Provide additional support to marketing efforts, programs, events and other Chamber initiatives as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Advertising Design or related, or knowledge equivalent to such degree
- Four (4) to Seven (7) years of experience working directly with in-house or agency clients in various design styles, with a minimum of one (1) year in a supervisory role managing at least one (1) employee.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (CC). Other web-based visual design platforms, videography and photography proficiency a plus.
- Knowledge of Greater Philadelphia region and business community a plus.
Work Conditions/Physical Demands
- Client-focused with a collaborative approach to design.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize responsibilities.
- Strategic thinker with an innate curiosity.
- A self-starter who is able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Organizational ability and attention to detail.
- Collaborative management style when working with direct reports.
- Diligence in meeting deadlines and ability to work independently and under pressure
On a standard workday, the majority of time is spent sitting at a desk, using the computer and interacting with colleagues in internal meetings. However, on a regular basis, the Manager, Creative Services will be required to attend Chamber events or related outside meetings. These meetings/events may take place outside of regular business hours and outside of center city Philadelphia.