Position: Associate Art Director
Do you love magazines? Particularly the kind that are actually still printed on paper? Philadelphia magazine, one of America’s most honored and respected city magazines, has an immediate opening for an Associate Art Director in the editorial department.
Reporting to the Design Director, the Associate Art Director will be responsible for designing section pages, departments and features. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented with a sophisticated design aesthetic and a positive attitude, is able to work under tight deadlines, and has experience bringing projects from concept to completion.
- Work with the edit team to plan section content and elements
- Collaborate with the art team on the visual direction of the magazine
- Lay out FOB/BOB sections pages, departments and features
- Contribute traditional and photo-illustrations to the magazine and/or website
- Assign illustrations as needed
- Assist with direction of local photo shoots
- Evaluate page proofs and monitor production quality
- Build and maintain page templates, ensure consistency and accuracy
- Be flexible, creative and quick in solving visual problems
Philadelphia covers a broad range of subjects—from food and lifestyle to politics and crime. The magazine has been honored with multiple CRMA nominations (13 in 2015) and awards (6 in 2014, including a win in General Excellence).
In addition to monthly issue duties, the Associate Art Director will work on our Wedding and Wellness publications and will assist with producing art for select web stories.
- A talent for visual storytelling
- An enthusiastic appreciation of modern magazine marketplace
- A strong and restrained typographic style and a modern, cosmopolitan design sensibility
- A thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- The ability to think about content first and understand how to visually translate a story
- A roster of favorite photographers and illustrators to call upon for freelance assignments
- A BFA with a major in Graphic Design or an equivalent degree
This is a full-time position based in Center City Philadelphia. Qualified candidates should submit a thoughtful and specific cover letter (why do you think this job is a good fit for you?), a résumé and relevant work samples (pdf samples and/or a link to an online portfolio or website) to email@example.com with the subject line PM Associate Art Director Search. No phone calls please. Please keep emails under 5MB.
Your browser is too old to view this site.
Do yourself a favor and upgrade it to the latest version.