Position: Temporary Packaging Designer
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Website: Unique Industries
Designs generic and licensed packaging for Unique and private label products. Responsible for using correct legal information, country of origin, UPC’s, warnings and translations. Responsible for checking incoming proofs for all packaging produced.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Other duties may be assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Essential Duties are listed below in italic font. Nonessential duties are listed in plain font.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Responsible for designing, sizing and layout of generic and licensed packaging used for Unique and private label products.
- Design any new major packaging or packaging for new lines to be introduced.
- Create labels for plates, napkins and cups.
- Responsible for blister arrangements on cards.
- Design ensemble packaging for licensed products, create the packaging for the entire line.
- Design/provide art for CDUs, PDQs
- Ensure that proper legal lines, country of origin, UPC’s are on all packages.
- Include correct warning information, age grading, size, weight and translations.
- Review any packaging done by other Artists/Designers to ensure that all information is included and done accurately.
- Proof all incoming packaging proofs and blister arrangements within scope of responsibility.
- Follow up on all existing items that require changes in addresses, warnings or other information.
- Follow up on existing items that need to be sent to new makers. Update packaging as necessary before sending to new maker.
- Responsible for providing new packaging or prints as necessary for mock-ups for both the Advertising, Marketing and Sales departments.
- Coordinate the sending of packaging to printers/makers with the product art being sent to these same companies.
- Coordinate information from purchasing, advertising, quality control and sales to keep packaging accurate and prioritized.
- Give packaging direction for mock-ups for customer presentations or for catalog photography.
- Responsible for including the correct ink colors for each job on the file when sending to maker.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Requires effective oral and written communication skills including the ability to present ideas, and/or facts and recommendations effectively.
- Good communication skills with others in the department, with other departments and with suppliers.
- Must be able to calculate correct sizes and color percentages for packaging.
- Knowledge of 4/color process and spot color printing on offset and flexographic presses.
- Must be skilled in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiar with using the Internet and email.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Excellent follow-up and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task. Ability to work independently with little direction.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year art college or university.
- Three to five years related experience and/or training working on packaging.
- Must have completed various software upgrade classes.
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to reach/work overhead, climb, and balance.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use repetitive hand motions, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and lift up to ten pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may frequently be required to have close visual acuity while working on a computer, analyzing data, or reading extensively.
- The employee will be working in an office environment which is temperature controlled.