Position: Running Press Kids Book Designer
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Website: Hachette Book Group
Position Type: full-time
Start Date: Immediate
Working closely with Running Press’ design team, the Designer will be responsible for designing approximately 8+ titles a season across multiple imprints with a focus on RP Kids.
A successful candidate will be an innovative, out-of-the-box thinker who strives for design excellence and enjoys challenges. The position will be based in the Philadelphia office (once it fully reopens) with a hybrid office/work from home schedule.
• Design and layout book covers and interiors from initial acquisition to print-ready files in multiple formats, with guidance from the Creative Director. Formats including but not limited to picture books, YA and middle grade novels, board books, non-fiction, and activity books.
• Work collaboratively with all members of the Design, Production, and Editorial teams on the development of the book from concept to finish.
• Hire and manage illustrators and photographers, as needed.
• Keep projects on a timely schedule and keep supervisor in the loop on projects.
• Work with licensed brands and their assets to create publishing content.
• Create sales and publicity material as needed for those titles
Knowledge and skills Required:
• BFA in Design, preferred 3+ years of graphic design experience, interest/experience in book publishing is preferred Proficient in Creative Cloud: InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
• Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography necessary to create designs for multiple formats across children’s publishing.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to communicate in individual and group settings as well as with out-of-house illustrators, photographers, and freelancers.
• Solid working knowledge of the creative process as well as production and printing and an ability to envision and work with various materials and special effects.
• Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment. As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.