Position: Senior Designer
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Website: Quirk Books
Position Type: Full-time, in-house
Quirk Books is looking for a creative individual with a passion for pop culture and a strong track record in book design to join our design team. We publish everything from best-selling fiction to lifestyle books to children’s titles—with an emphasis on books that are bold, unprecedented, beautifully designed, fun, and affordable. This is a full-time, in-house position located in Philadelphia.
The Senior Designer will design covers and interior layouts for 10–12 new books per year. The position may be responsible for other design needs as appropriate. This position reports to Quirk Books’ Associate Art Director and works closely with 2 other designers.
- Conceive and design covers and interiors for approximately 10–12 books per year.
- Consult with Associate Art Director and Project Editor to evaluate individual project needs.
- Hire and manage freelance artists and photographers to contribute to covers and interior layout.
- Present design directions to Associate Art Director and key company management for feedback and approval.
- Create designs that are appropriate for both physical and digital versions of books.
- Must be highly motivated, a self-starter, and results-driven and have the ability to take appropriate steps to achieve goals. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in book design (cover and interior) with an attention to detail and schedules.
- Knowledge of book publishing processes and functions (editorial, managing editorial, production, design, copyediting, marketing, and sales) and excellent intra- and interdepartmental communication and collaboration skills necessary.
- Must demonstrate a strong understanding of design principles and creative problem solving.
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and other critical design software.
- Must be a flexible team player able to take on shifting responsibilities as needs arise