Position: Designer, Creative Services
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Website: The Franklin Institute
Position Type: Full-time
The Franklin Institute, the most visited museum in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, strives to be the world leader in promoting science and technology education and literacy through inspiring and engaging experiences that cultivate curiosity, critical thinking, and an understanding of the crucial role science plays in our lives.
At The Franklin Institute, we provide an environment that is as nurturing as it is dynamic. Our team-oriented approach allows for ample learning and career growth opportunities. We think you will find the Institute offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents. We are eager for your input, ideas, and inspiration.
The Franklin Institute – one of America’s most celebrated museums – is seeking a Designer to join our in-house Creative Services team.
This role works with various departments, executing projects in alignment with the visual identity and brand standards of The Franklin Institute. The designer will coordinate with other departments in the approval process of all assigned projects and is responsible to produce an on-time, on-budget, high quality product.
The designer will work in a fast-paced environment and will be part of a small design team, which is part of the larger Experiences and Business Development department. The Designer, Creative Services will also be responsible for:
• Design and implementation of various mediums (Examples include print/digital advertising, annual reports, large format signage, activity sheets, event collateral, flyers, environmental design, banners, brochures, postcards, invitations, digital signage, presentations, booklets, etc.)
• Responsible for all phases of a project including estimating, design, production, purchasing, proofing, and archiving.
• Participation in creative team brainstorming (Examples include messaging and design for special exhibit marketing, Heritage Month events, Science After Hours events, etc.)
• Develop and produce animations for digital advertising.
• Assist in the content management of dynamic digital signage including the maintenance of messaging and templates to ensure accurate information is on display throughout the museum.
• Assist in repair and replacement of graphics in exhibitions as assigned.
• Communicate and coordinate effectively with museum colleagues and vendor contacts.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design
• Minimum of 2-4 years of relevant print and digital experience required
• Strong portfolio showing a range of print and digital projects
• Portfolio should show examples of client work based on a creative brief and be able to explain process and impact of the work.
• Knowledge and experience of both 2D and 3D graphic design
• Strong knowledge and experience in print production
• Expert knowledge of Mac environment and Adobe Creative Cloud – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, & Acrobat
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office/Excel/PowerPoint Experience with motion graphics/After Effects preferred
• Copywriting experience a plus Illustration experience a plus
• Strong design skills with an ability to produce effective communication materials.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, organization and time management skills with efficiency in fast-paced and collaborative environment
• The designer should assume an autonomous way of working with minimum supervision and must be able to work both collaboratively and independently as necessary
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated is defined as at least two weeks after your final dose. Medical and religious exemptions will apply.
Full-time, 37.5 hours per week, Monday – Friday (8:45 AM – 5:15 PM)
The Franklin Institute offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision, 401K, life insurance and disability coverage. We also offer generous Paid Time Off, paid holidays, and numerous wellness program benefits.
The Franklin Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!