Position: UI/UX Designer
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Azavea uses geospatial data to build civic software and data analytics for the web. High quality UI/UX design is an important component of our brand and long-term strategy; we’re excited about what we do; we’re growing, and we hope you will join us.
Azavea is based in Philadelphia, and we’re looking to grow our UI/UX Design team (currently 3 people). Our software is used to visualize and analyze data related to a range of civic and social concerns, including: digital history, urban forests, ecosystems, education, crime, water, human services, and elections.
We are looking for
Skills & Requirements
Who we are and what we’re doing
As a B Corporation, we’re committed to working on projects that have social and civic impact and advancing the state-of-the-art through research. Most of our customers are local governments, non-profit organizations and academic or federal research projects. We build custom apps; perform geospatial analysis; manage several open source civic software projects (DistrictBuilder, OpenTreeMap and others); and develop an open source, high performance computing framework, GeoTrellis, that enables us to build fast analytical applications by distributing the geospatial data processing. Our developers work across the technology stack from database and application servers to modern, browser-based front-ends.
The UI/UX Design team works closely with our customers and software development teams to sketch, wireframe, and implement user interfaces for web and mobile apps. Most of our projects take a “design first” approach in which the Design team takes the lead on working with users to define the project. A few examples of our work include: visualization tools for Civil War emancipation data; a large historic photo database; visualizing urban socio-economic indicators in Toronto; and helping The Nature Conservancy distribute information related to coastal resilience. In addition to these custom projects, the team’s work also includes designing the UI/UX for our products: OpenTreeMap, HunchLab, and the Cicero data API.
What You’ll Do
- Attend and facilitate UX charettes and workshops with our clients.
- Brainstorm, sketch, and wireframe with the design and development teams.
- Create beautiful, responsive interfaces to engage and excite users.
- Develop interactive prototypes to pass off to the development teams.
- Work with the marketing team to create collateral for the company and our products.
You Should Have
- Have an understanding of design (graphic design, multimedia, etc) and design software, including the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Have exposure to software development processes and working hand-in-hand with developers, project managers, and stakeholders.
- Feel comfortable working a wide variety of tasks and projects, and have excellent time management skills.
- Care deeply about how people experience digital services and products.
- Have a demonstrated portfolio of previous work or projects that shows your passion and creativity. We like to see your process!
- Get excited about all things design.
You get extra points for
- Having a background in human-computer interaction, development, psychology, or other similar design-related fields.
- Knowledge of the design industry, or involvement in Philadelphia’s design community.
- Demonstrated commitment to working in spirit of community service.
- Weave, juggle, fence, cook, paint, killer ping-pong serve, or similar superpowers.
You’ll notice we don’t say “X-Y years of experience” or “BFA in Graphic Design.” While formal education and credentials are important, we are interested in people who show potential and passion for design. You might have worked previously as a developer, project manager, journalist, analyst, or professional in another industry. Or you may be just out of school and looking for a chance to learn and prove yourself. Or you might have a strong background has an interactive or experience design. These are all potentially great backgrounds, and we’d be interested in hearing from you.
Office and Benefits
Our Philadelphia office is located in a brightly lit office on the 4th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, a shower and lockers. It’s an open office plan with several smaller rooms for team meetings, private space and concentration time. We have bi-weekly design-focused events in-office for sharing and learning from our peers, and regularly host and attend local meetups. You will get a top-of-the-line Apple MacBook Pro and two widescreen, high-definition monitors to help you do your work. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 – 45 hour week on a regular schedule.
We offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience and a benefits package that includes: health, dental, vision, retirement plan, flexible hours, profit-sharing bonus, and more. We welcome candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or domestic partner status.
View the job description on our website: http://jobs.azavea.com/opening/ui-ux-designer/
How To Apply
Please send your resume and online portfolio to Amy Trahey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject of the email.
Optional: We would like to get to know applicants better, aside from their resume. A questionnaire can be found in the online job description at http://jobs.azavea.com/opening/ui-ux-designer/
**This position is full-time, on site in Philadelphia**