Position: Art Director
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Website: Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
- Manage the Creative Services team
- Establish visual standards for brand expression
- Provide guidance and feedback on a regular basis to two direct reports and external contractors making sure brand standards, deadlines, and budgets are met.
- Work collaboratively with teams across the organization to ensure brand visual alignment across all platforms – printed materials, digital items, video, and photography.
- Work closely within the Marketing team on specific campaigns and on achieving goals of established three-year work plans.
- Provide guidance to staff members and oversee integrity of PHS identity across all platforms by developing/maintaining cohesive design and brand visual standards for both internal and external use. This role is responsible for art and creative direction across PHS with the exception of creating ‘baseline artwork,’ signs, and event look/feel elements for the Philadelphia Flower Show (this work is done by the Flower Show Creative Director under brand and visual guidelines established by the Art Director).
- Provide creative direction/input to Creative Services team on print and digital graphic design, video, and photography
- Conduct meetings and perform regular check-ins and yearly performance reviews
- Develop best practices for efficient workflow and proper file organization
- Work collaboratively with diverse teams on multiple projects concurrently and manage projects from concept through production, assisting team with prioritization, to ensure deadlines and budgets are met
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with vendors from cost negotiation to production -Process invoices and engage in financially efficient methods for printing, supplies and services -Oversee photography and video budget
- Design digital items and print collateral, including, but not limited to: annual reports, brochures, posters, postcards, handouts, advertisements, invitations, signage, exhibits, infographics, logos, website graphics, e-blast graphics, motion/animated graphics, etc.
- Create custom illustrations when required
Years of experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of design experience in advertising, branding, or similar, and as a people manager
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities required for success:
- Proficient in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Knowledge of the four-color (CMYK – Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) printing process and experience prepping files for vendors
- Strong sense of typography and design
- Ability to provide creative direction to direct reports and any outside vendors
- Ability to conceptualize, guide, and effectively communicate design concepts with co-workers who may not have design knowledge
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organized, deadline oriented, and ability to manage budgets
- Ability to work independently, as a team member and team leader
- Commitment to the mission of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, PHS Values, and PHS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Additional skills considered a plus:
- Video, photography, or motion graphics experience
- Working knowledge of Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro
- Ability to learn or experience working with a digital asset management platform
- Ability to learn or experience working with an enterprise project management system
Medical, Dental, 403(b), LTD, STD, AD&D, Voluntary Insurances, PTO