Position: Creative Product Designer
Location: Berlin, NJ
Website: A.C. MOORE Inc.
Department: Product Design and Development
Reports To: Director of New Product Innovation
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30-5:00
The Creative Product Designer is a hands-on designer/innovator/crafter who is responsible for fulfilling our promise to delight kids and families with hands-on, creative craft and art projects, as well as content and other associated finished decorative goods. The individual in this role will be on the front lines of our product development process, diving into and assisting with all aspects, from conception through manufacturing and shipment. We’re looking for natural makers who are excited by exploring and learning about new materials and techniques that push the boundaries of what’s possible to deliver the most enjoyable experience all can afford to enjoy. This Team Member must act with the A.C. Moore Values in mind: People, integrity, desire to be the best, passion, enthusiasm and new ideas.
Essential Job Functions:
Experience & Educational Requirements:
- Create and present seasonal kids craft/home decor concepts to merchandising team.
- Create designs and ultimately finalized specs for manufacture that meet design, price, age and safety objectives.
- Continuously search blogs, boards and feeds to stay ahead of graphic/fashion/consumer trends and become an expert.
- Ensure A.C. Moore is in the forefront of presenting innovative new project ideas to customers, and that content is created from this point of view always.
- Produce high quality products and sample mockups with a professional finish using different techniques including paper craft, clay modeling, beading, sewing, and painting.
- Collaborate with photography team to create samples and provide imagery that best represents project ideas on web and through social media, while inspiring our customer to create and share.
- Translate conceptual art into product, patterns, icons, and typography to support sales initiatives.
- Develop content that speaks to a wide variety of age ranges, and skill sets (kids craft projects).
- Oversee step by step DIY instructions for your projects to ensure accuracy and to ensure that the A.C. Moore voice is maintained throughout.
- Shop competition to understand liabilities and opportunities.
- Suggest new opportunities to Buying team regarding design.
- Develop a strong, collaborative relationship with Buyers to ensure you are aligned with their business goals and objectives and are clear on how you can best support them.
- Manage assigned projects on workflow calendar (Trello).
- Ensure that timing of product development meets production/timing needs to ensure POs arrive at DC in time. Maintain awareness of deadlines, and communicate concerns to Manager & team.
- Prepare trend boards as needed.
- Attend trade shows as needed.
- Attend vendor meetings with Merchants as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- Domestic and international travel may be required up to 15%
- Bachelor degree or higher in Graphic design, Industrial Design, Illustration or equivalent is preferred.
- Minimum 2-5 years of design and/or illustration experience with a major retail, brand or design firm.
- Highly skilled in Adobe Creative Suite.
- 3D modeling experiences with Solidworks/Fusion360 a plus.
- Physical or digital character sculpting a plus.
- Keyshot rendering a plus.
- General knowledge of manufacturing and sourcing goods both domestically and internationally.
- Strong communication skills, ability to partner and work well with a diverse group.
- Ability to design products that are consumer focused to meet the needs of our AC Moore customer.
- Must have excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Deadline driven.
Work is performed in a standard office environment. Employees must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without a reasonable accommodation.